Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bandita

When I tried on my finished Ishbel shawl for roommate Catherine, she said I looked like a bandit.

I think she's right. I'm not entirely sure how to wear triangular shawls without looking like a grandma, but if knitting superstars like Splityarn can't figure it out, either, I guess I'm in good company.

See for yourself:



Pattern: Ishbel, by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock in Manzanita (1 skein)
Needles: US 7 (thanks for telling me to go up a size, Amanda!)

I know people love this pattern, and it's beautiful, but it was not at all intuitive for me. I think something went wrong in the stitch count on the stockinette section (started the lace pattern one row too soon? I don't know) because it was one problem after another. I also don't love that it's curling already and I've never worn it out of the house.



Pattern: Milkweed Shawl, by Laura Chau
Yarn: Plymouth Happy Feet (2 skeins)
Needles: US 5

Hooray for garter! I finished this during last December's Snowmageddon while rewatching Dexter. Since it's garter I'm not running into the same problems with curling, and it's nice and snuggly. I originally bought this yarn to make birthday socks for my Mom but there was no way I was going to get it done in time (this was back in college) and so I abandoned the yarn. It was too squeaky with acrylic on US 2s, but knitting a shawl on 5s helped to mitigate that. I also hated the short color repeats when it was knitting up in the round, but I think that it works better here than it looked as a sock.



















I like the shawls, but does anyone have advice for wearing triangular shawls without looking like a cowboy? Or do I just need to a. stop knitting triangular shawls or b. embrace my inner bandita?

No comments:

Post a Comment